According to a simple Google search, this is the definition of a selfie. Pretty basic and understandable, right? A photograph taken of oneself for purposes of sharing who you are with social media outlets.
noun: selfie; plural noun: selfies; noun: selfy
a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.
Now, if you want my opinion, as simple as a selfie should be, it’s quite complex. I grasp the complex, and understand an occasional, updated picture of yourself is acceptable. But what’s with all these selfies, every half hour everyday? I can’t make any sense of it, but I’m going to try…
1. You’ve got the basic selfie. A picture of yourself to post on social media sites to give your readers an idea of what you look like. Totally acceptable.
2. Then you’ve got the selfie that changes every few days. Okay, I get your point. You may not be happy with the original, and you continue snapping away until you find one that makes you happy.
3. Then there’s the selfie that changes everyday. Are you trying to capture yourself aging?
4. Now we’ve got the overused selfie, but it’s purpose is for comical reasons. Annoying at times, but acceptable I suppose. Everyone could use a good laugh one in a while.
5. Now we’ve go the selfie that changes every freaking hour!! What the hell is up with all these selfies?! I have to admit, I strongly believe that those people changing their profile pics of all the different selfies have “issues.” Whether it’s self esteem, and you have none, and you feel you’ve got something to prove to the world (I’m living the high life, having a blast while you aren’t) or… you’re a bit of a narcissist and need to get over yourself, these out of control selfies HAVE to stop. They are driving me insane!!
Things to consider if you happen to be an abuser of the selfie:
1. If you’re in the bathroom in front of a mirror, please keep in mind that odds are there’s going to be a reflection of a freaking toilet bowl in your selfie. That’s okay with you? That’s the image you want people to see when they come across your page? Not cool.
2. Duck face? Okay… this is another blog entirely, but again… abused. There is absolutely NOTHING attractive about this face. In fact, it almost looks painful, and most people make fun of these pictures. So, you keep blowing kisses to yourself in your bathroom mirror, and I’ll keep laughing at how ridiculous you truly look.
3. Everyone is talking about how over used the selfie has become. Which side of the fence would you like to end up on? The selfie haters or the selfie makers? Because I can see this whole discussion growing to a much bigger proportion. I’m just looking out, that’s out.
4.The overused selfie is sending out an entirely different message than you might be thinking. You see, YOU think you’re sending this message “Look at me! Look how pretty and popular I am!” The message you’re actually sending is “Look at me! Please look at me? I’m dying for the attention!! Please, someone, anyone, EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME!!!” You know what I’m going to do? I’m not only going to look away, but I’m going to delete you from any social media that might link us, and pretend I don’t know you. I’m comfortable with myself. I’m comfortable with the way I look and I’ve got nothing to prove to anyone. I don’t want or need any unnecessary attention, and I can bet my life that you’ll never catch me making some ridiculous duck face.
For the love of God, can we please settle down with the selfies? And by all means, if I’ve forgotten one, please free to chime in. And if you’re a selfie abuser and I’ve offended you, I apologize. That wasn’t my intention. You see, the intention behind this blog is to simply raise awareness as to how annoying the selfie has become. I’m SO glad to see that every time I type the word selfie on my computer, it’s underlined in red, which means my computer doesn’t recognize it as word, (yet) thank God. But trust me, it won’t be long before the word selfie is added to the latest edition of Merriam Webster’s dictionary. Uggghhhhh Shoot me.
That is all. Have a good night fellow bloggers!
Until next time…
~Kate… the selfie hater.